Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Memorial to Scarlet 7/11/92 to 8/12/08

August 12th, Scarlet, my long time friend and companion, crossed Rainbow Bridge. I've known she had kidney disease for several years. I had been feeding her special food and supplements, but at 17 years old, it finally caught up with her. She became listless and her coat dull and dry. She slept all the time. When she was awake, she looked disoriented and confused. Although she didn't seem to be in pain, I knew it was time to let my friend go, as she had no quality of life.
R.I.P. my sweet girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

17 years! That is great! That means I have a chance at 10 more years with our dogs. I play this foolish game in my head wondering who will out live each other (me or the dogs).
While I do hope and plan to live past 10 more years (how about 50?), it does anguish me so to think about the day when Katie and Jake will not be with us anymore. It is very difficult to think about. My heart breaks and I know it will be really hard so I hope they have another 10 years and that it does not go by too quickly.

I really feel for you as it must be excruitating to let go of such a long time and faithful companion.

Nice memorial tribute!

Beck

Grumpy said...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Our Millie is 13 years old and I dread the thought of losing her. She is the best treatment my blood pressure has ever had. She understands when we are ill and simply curls up next to us to comfort us. I am sure all of this sounds familiar to you. What a blessing to have had her for 17 years.